Thursday, April 30, 2009

www.50states.com

"On the Banks of the Wabash Far Away", Shannon Quartet

Columbia (Viva~tonal!) 1358-D [145451] "On the Banks of the Wabash Far Away" (Dresser) Shannon Quartet (Male Quartet). First issued circa early 1928. Played on my Columbia 163. This is the state song of Indiana. Thanks to Belairbolt for the information.

"On the Banks of the Wabash, Far Away"
Written by Paul Dresser
Composed by Paul Dresser

'Round my Indiana homesteads wave the cornfields,
In the distance loom the woodlands clear and cool.
Oftentimes my thoughts revert to scenes of childhood,
Where I first received my lessons, nature's school.
But one thing there is missing in the picture,
Without her face it seems so incomplete.
I long to see my mother in the doorway,
As she stood there years ago, her boy to greet.

[CHORUS]

Oh, the moonlight's fair tonight along the Wabash,
From the fields there comes the breath of newmown hay.
Through the sycamores the candle lights are gleaming,
On the banks of the Wabash, far away.

Many years have passed since I strolled by the river,
Arm in arm, with sweetheart Mary by my side,
It was there I tried to tell her that I loved her,
It was there I begged of her to be my bride.
Long years have passed since I strolled thro' there churchyard.
She's sleeping there, my angel, Mary dear,
I loved her, but she thought I didn't mean it,
Still I'd give my future were she only here.

Lyrics from
http://www.50states.com/songs/indiana.htm

Homepage:
http://www.50states.com/

Check it out. Looks like an excellent site!

Video Tags:Victrola, phonograph, Columbia, Columbia-163, Grafonola, Wabash, ShannonQuartet, Viva-tonal, 1920's, 1928

Related Videos:
Title:Purdue Varsity Glee Club - On The Banks/Back Home Again Description:Purdue Varsity Glee Club End of Season 2008Title:Purduettes - On The Banks of the Wabash/Beatle Medley Description:Purdue Cancer Benefit 3-2-08Title:LARRY FRANCO JAZZ SOCIETY - Indiana - Live in Tirana Description:Larry Franco: pianoforte, voce Michael Supnick: tromba, trombone, voce Michele Carrabba: sax tenore, soprano Giacomo Desiante: trombone Ilario De Marinis: contrabbasso Enzo Lanzo: batteria www.larryfranco.it http www.michaelsupnick.com "Back Home Again in Indiana" is a song composed by Ballard macdonald and James Hanley in 1917. While it is not the official state song of the US state of Indiana (that honor belongs to On the Banks of the Wabash), it is perhaps the best-known song that pays ...Title:Jason's Indiana Trip, December 2006 Description:A quick recap of my visit to Indiana and Louisville, KY, where I was on hand for my brother's college graduation. The music used is a public domain recording of the Indiana state song, "On the Banks of the Wabash, far Away." It was performed by Henry Burr and the Columbia Stellar Quartet in 1915 or 1916.Title:Margo O'Donnel - Banks Of The Wabash Description:Margo O'Donnel - Banks Of The Wabash
Flickr pictures related to www.50states.com

    No comments: